Time to spare? A passion for modelling and a heart full of kindness? Then you will make a fantastic volunteer.
We have a group of 130+ who provide their time and expertise to assist model making sessions and fund raise at public displays to support our beneficiaries with their therapeutic hobby.
Volunteers advise on modelling skills from the very basics like how to decipher the numbers and letters on instructions to how to use a sanding stick and filler to smooth out seam lines.
It is not necessary to be an expert modeller, but you will need empathy and patience and plenty of energy.
Once you have filled in the application form below, potential volunteers will have a short telephone interview, referees will be contacted and character checks performed to asses your suitability.
Please be aware that DBS checks will be performed if the setting you are assigned to requires them.
Benefits of becoming a M4H volunteer:
- You will get an enormous sense of satisfaction as you help the bravest people in our community.
- You will be considered for Mental Health First Aid training.
- Our volunteer polices are guided by the expert advice provided by National Council for Voluntary Organisations of whom we are members.
- A dedicated Facebook page just for volunteers to share experiences and ask advice.
- A dedicated webpage containing all the forms and digital information required to perform your role.
- We insure our volunteers for public liability up to twice the amount that is industry recommended.
Vounteer RolesThis is a list of role requirements, recommendations and requests for you to uphold during your time at modelling sessions. In summary, please act responsibly.
- If you are using your own vehicle to drive to a modelling session, and be carrying model supplies, please inform your car insurance company that you will be doing so. Your premium should not be affected. A letter can be requested from us that you can pass to your insurance company if needed.
- Volunteers are required to be computer literate, able to use email, download files and print forms. Our coordination is done through facebook and we urge you to sign up to facebook if you haven’t already done so.
- As you may be working with potentially vulnerable and poorly adults, you may be asked to complete an Advanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service). The organisation, charity or company you are volunteering at will provide the forms for this.
- On arrival to your modelling session location report to your Point of contact. These can be found on specific Facebook Group events. If in doubt, please get in contact with us. Please make sure you sign in and out where appropriate.
- Please make sure you are aware of the location of fire safety exits, first aid kits at the beginning of modelling sessions. Any safety equipment you identify is needed we will supply. Please get in contact to advise us.
- As a Models for Heroes Volunteer you will be offering your time for free to assist in the smooth running of modelling sessions. This includes setting out / putting away cutting mats, tools, etc. and advising on beginner kits.
- You will be expected to provide and advise safe and clean working environment where possible. Advise and practice sensible use of materials, tools and hazardous liquids. Please remind everyone using the tools that some are sharp!
- You will be expected to decipher and explain model kit instructions and read small printed words, assist with construction techniques and advise on good building practice.
- We expect you to respect others and as an ambassador for Models for Heroes to conduct yourself with a respectful manner at all times. Clean, tidy and appropriate attire is recommended. Please wear your Models for Heroes badge or similar.
- We would like you to be actively involved with the promotion of modelling as a positive mental health activity and be enthusiastic about the hobby.
- To record your experience and document the number of hours volunteered we ask that you submit a modelling session report online. (It only takes 2 mins to fill out)
- Teaching or even reteaching new/old modellers the skills to make their own projects is incredibly rewarding and forfilling. We want you to be happy with and proud of your role as Models for Heroes Volunteer. Please contact us with any concerns or comments.